Saturday, January 12, 2019

An Act of Kindness


I had an odd experience today. I pulled into Walmart in Brooklyn to pick up a few things. I parked more or less where I always park in this particular Walmart. We are creatures of habit, after all. I got out of my car, locked the door, and turned to the building. Then I noticed the car next to me. In the front passenger’s seat was a very old woman with her face in her hands. I paused for a moment, wondering if she was OK? Wondering if I should ask? Wondering if I would just be butting in where I’m not welcome?

Fuck it. I can’t see another human being in discomfort and not be moved to action.

I tapped gently on her window until she looked up. She didn’t look like she had been crying, so I just asked her, through the door window, if she was OK. She smiled and said that, Yes. She was OK. So I smiled back and left.

Why did I hesitate? Why did I first feel compelled to say nothing and walk away without at least seeing if she was OK? And more perplexing, why did I decide not to? Why did I decide to get involved? Even the very act of asking someone if they are OK is itself an act of kindness. And obligation. 

We can all manage that, certainly.

No comments: