Monday, April 1, 2019

Make Up Your Mind, Dammit


When I am contemplating something-something as simple as how best to relocate to another state or as complex as international politics, I have a standard procedure of contemplation. Say, I'm considering "X." I will detach myself from it. Consider it. It's pros. It's cons. Who agrees with X and why? Who disagrees with X and why? What are their prejudices, biases, and who has what to gain? What are the alternatives and how do all of those criterion apply?

No matter how outlandish, I assume that thinking people somewhere believe in X for a reason. Maybe a good reason. Maybe bad. I'll defer judgement until-well. Forever. Even after I have made a judgement I will still maintain that I might have been mistaken. I have my own prejudices, biases, and things to gain, too.

And if I ask my friends, What do you think about X? I am just gathering information. I am not saying that I have already decided. That I am a disciple of X. That I am going to sell all of my possessions and join X's commune and shave my head some weird way, maybe like the Genie, or medieval monks with their tonsures, and I think you should, too. No. I am asking your opinion and will subject it to the same scrutiny, i.e., What are your prejudices, biases, and what do you have to gain?

I was once talking to some friends in Russia and I quoted Karl Marx a couple of times. They asked me if I was a Marxist. I thought for a moment and then said, No. I don't think so. I believe I can learn from anyone but I am no-one's disciple. Basically, everyone I talk to has cause to be intellectually disappointed in me. So be it.

What do you think about that?

No comments: