Thursday, March 23, 2017

Girl Power






Helping  Bill Corriveau with set construction Sunday morning at Killington High. There was a student there, a girl named Eliana. She did painting and was sweeping up the sawdust from the construction. I was cutting an archway in a luan door with a jigsaw. I asked her if she would like to do some of the cutting. Eric, who was working with me, stopped me and asked her how old she was. Seventeen, she said. No. She can't use electric tools in the state of Connecticut. Not until she's eighteen. She could run a lawnmower, but not electric tools. Go figure.

OK, I said. But I want you to remember when you're eighteen, I told Eliana. You can do set construction. You can do anything. Don't let them make you do girl stuff only. This is girl stuff.

Maybe I made a difference. I hope so.

No comments: