Tuesday, March 23, 2021

The Wokeness of Men and the New Pharisees

Aziraphale: “Did you ever meet him?”
Crowley: “Yes. He seemed a very bright young man. I showed him all the kingdoms of the world.”
Aziraphale: “Why?”
Crowley: “He’s a carpenter from Galilee. His travel opportunities are limited… What was it he said that got everybody so upset?”
Aziraphale: “Be kind to each other.”
Crowley: “Oh, ya. That will do it.”
                                       Good Omens, Pratchett & Gaiman

I did not leave my country. My country left me,
I did not leave my culture. My culture left me,
I did not leave liberalism. Liberalism left me.
I did not leave polite discourse for puerile denunciation.
I did not leave human decency but I fear human decency has left us all.
What remains is a paper macher carnival float going up in a whoosh and a bang,
Love burning in the fires of vapid appearance.

When did the admonition to love thy neighbor become a threat to society?

No comments: