Thursday, April 5, 2018

Dance


So. We dance.
We dance.
Yes. We dance. Would you like to dance with me?
I don’t know how to dance.
It’s easy.
So you say.
May I show you?
Maybe.
OK. Let’s start. We face off. Together.
Like this?
Yes. You stand there and I stand here.
OK.
And I bow to you.
Why would you do that?
Out of respect.
Oh.
And you curtsey.
Cutesy? I’m supposed to be cutesy?
Curtsey. It’s a bow without bending.
Oh.
Just bend your knees.
It feels funny.
And flay your dress.
Huh?
You’ll get the hang of it. Later.
I rather doubt that.
And now I put my right hand on your waist.
Not sure I like-
And you put your left hand on my shoulder.
Why would I want to do that?
And I take your right hand in my left and hold it out away from us.
Which makes no sense whatsoever.
And we dance.
Which is…
I step with my right foot. And you step with your left.
OK.
Back.
Back?
Your back.
Oh. Right.
And then I step with my left foot and you step with your right.
Sure.
Back.
Back?
Right. Left.
Right? Yes. Your right?
OK.
Now forward.
And you’re going backwards?
Yes.
And I follow?
Across the dance floor.
Where?
I’ll guide you.
Uh-huh.
Yah-huh.
We just look like a couple of klutzes klutzing around.
Fred and Ginger?
Gertrude and Heathcliff.
That’s what dancing is.
I can do that… Maybe… No.
One, two , three. One, two, three.
Hmm. It is rhythmic…
Give yourself to the rhythm.
I think.
And the feel.
I feel.
And I give you a whirl.
So!
And I hold your hand and give you a twirl!
Wow.
And you mirror every move I make.
Mesmerizing!
And we make a little round about spiral on the dance floor, see?
Yes! I. I could get the hang of this.
And when I cast your off, you come back to me. Always.
How fine!
Your fingers. Just barely touching mine.
Making love with our fingertips!
Come back to me, my dance partner.
Hmm?
In my arms.
Always.
Feel the movement.
I’m here.
Dance like there is no tomorrow.
With you there is only today.

Dance!

No comments: